Rare Colonial Georgia Map of the New Ebenezer Settlement [Plan Von Neu Ebenezer...]
Sold for $9,375
hand-colored engraving by Matthias Seutter (German, 1678-1757), for Samuel Urlsperger's Ausfuhrliche Nachtricht von den Saltzburgischen Emigranten, published Augsburg, 1747.
pl. 19-3/4" x 22-3/8", sh., 21-1/4" x 24-3/8"
Provenance: Descended in a New Orleans family.
Notes: New Ebenezer was an early Georgia colony established by Lutherans seeking religious freedom after being exiled from Catholic Salzburg, Austria. In 1734, they arrived in Georgia, and re-settled two years later at the site of this map along the Savannah River. New Ebenezer was the first capital of Georgia and prospered in textiles (silk mills) until the American Revolution. Today, New Ebenezer is recognized as an archaeological site listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Jerusalem Lutheran Church, one of the few remaining structures, is the oldest continuous Lutheran Church in America.
The first plate of the map delineates the town laid out in square grids with the markets, church, school, forts, fields and outlying Yamacraw Indian territory. The second plate charts the coastline from Charleston, South Carolina and Augusta, Georgia in the north to St. Augustine, Florida in the south, and is inset with a smaller map of St. Simon and Jekyll islands. At the bottom of the plate is a diagram of the Ebenezer mill detailing its process.
**Map exhibits light toning, foxing and soiling along edges and scattered throughout. There are three small tears >1/4" to the lower center margin, and another small taped repair to the center left edge (below mill diagram). There is a tiny loss to the upper right corner, and the number "114" inscribed in ink. There is a faint pencil inscription lower right. The lower left and top center edges have minor creasing, and there is some light abrading to the top edge. Map retains nice clarity of color and is in overall good condition - condition is commensurate with age, medium and use.